Friday, February 8, 2008

waking up in the middle of the night

Sometimes it's nice to be me! Like when I hear one of my children wake up in the night and get up to be with them, actually what I do is get out of bed grab them by the hand and say come on...and we go get in the bed :)
So this morning, after days of not hearing the dogs when they need to go potty at night (Alli has been hearing them first) I think she was glad that I finally got up to take care of Andrew. I stagger into his bedroom and he see's me and of course says "I had a bad dream". So I reach my hand out and he takes it as we walk back to my bed. The events that happen next are true, and funny enough this happens more often then you might think....
As we are climbing into bed the first funny thing at 3am in the morning is that I quickly reach down and clean Andrew’s feet before he drags them across the bed. Who in the world would want dust and grit in bed with them..? but anyway so I get that part of life taken care of and when Andrew crawls into bed next to his mom she very sweetly semi picks her head up (not sure if her eyes are open or not) but she very softly says " I love you Andrew" and he apparently is more awake then I think because he responds to her " I love you too" then looks at me sort of half asleep and says "To bad Grace did not have a bad dream so she could be in bed with us". Then everyone went back to sleep except me as I lay there unfolding the last oh I say 5 or so minutes in my mind sort of laughing to myself.
We do not allow the kids in bed with us just for the fun of it except for rare times when I maybe have not seen them all week. But one way they can have the honor of sleeping in Mom and Dad's bed is if they have a bad dream and Mommy and Daddy do not feel like staying up.. So Andrew has caught on to this and I think he purposely tries to have bad dreams so he can get in bed with us. This morning was a few extra funny morsels for me to lay there and think about, the only thing that makes Andrews remarks funnier is that he never bothered to look on the other side of Mommy and see that Grace was in bed with us long before him :)

3 comments:

Jeremy Conner said...

My daughter will not even have turned her light off yet or gone to sleep at all and she'll come in and say she had a bad dream. I'll be like, "You haven't even fallen asleep yet."

Anonymous said...

That's cute!

Graced said...

Bring them on over and we will see what can be done.