Sunday, July 29, 2007

I sit in a room full of a variety of aged people; I listen to a Bible study on Bible Translations and watch the faces of those in the room as each translation is covered. Right then I realize, even though this study is an informative one, people are arguing in their on mind the incorrect event taking place "according to them". I can see on their faces that they can't believe we are even discussing such a thing. It's not just the oldest people but each age group at various times has a different expression of disbelief. I myself am married to the NASB, I just like it; I like the way it reads, the words, but mostly for me I do believe it is the most recent and current accurate translations based off the Greek and Hebrew text and I have come to that conclusion after some studying. Some people like King James, others like the Revised, New Living Translation. I suppose what interest me the most, is the reason people like the tranlation they decide to use and then are up in arms about it when others talk bad about it. Most always the reasons are not good, I have heard alot of crazy things like, if the King James was good enough for Jesus then it's good enough for us! Huh? What? For Jesus? Ok then. Or it is the closest thing to the original text that we have! Really? And you base that off of what? Or I like it because of the way it reads, I think the words flowing as they do are pretty! Ok, I can buy that one for the most part.
It's just interesting to hear people's reason for adhereing to the translation that they do. What bothers me is that people get heated about it and they don't really know why, they can't give a good argument for reading one version above another.
It's sort of like defending Christianity, we as Christians are becoming more and more dumb to the Word of God and how to defend it as the days go by. We get up in arms about something and then when we are called on it we can't no more give a defense for it then these people who get up in arms over a Bible Translation.
2 Timothy 4:2 - I encourage you to read this and think about what this scripture really means. I am certain it does not mean get all up in arms and then when challenged you hide under a rock!

2 comments:

Jeremy Conner said...

What I like is how we spend more time worrying about what translation of the bible is the best one than we do actually reading the bible and studying it. I mean, how many weeks of lessons should we feel good about having on something like this, especially since as you have stated people aren't going to change the translation they use.

Casey said...

It's SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny. If someone is that concerned about proper translations and bla. Then go learn Hebrew and Gr33k. >.>